Friday, March 16, 2007

The Black Clover

Various Guinness mixes have gained popularity as of late. The Black and Tan is probably the most popular, combining equal parts of Guinness and your favourite lager (such as Bass).  Other combinations can be found here.  A Black Shandy consists of Guinness and lemonade.

So, last year, before going out for St Pats, a friend and I sat in my kitchen drinking Guinness cans.  As I went into the fridge for another, I noticed a large container of limeade staring me down.  For those unaware, limeade is essentially lemonade made with... limes! (Amazing, no?) So I thought, if lemonade works, why not limeade?

It's a very simple drink to make and it's quite good, so don't be afraid of it.  The sweetness of the limeade works surprisingly well with the bitterness of the Guinness.  For a lack of a better name (actually, I forgot what I had originally named it), I present the Black Clover.

To make:
  • Fill about a third of a Guinness glass with limeade (I used McCain)
  • Then using a large spoon, slowly poor the Guinness on the convex side of the spoon, layering the Guinness and limeade like night and (St. Patricks) day
Sometimes you'll also encounter a very hypnotic 'wave' effect when layering the Guinness.



Cheers.

No comments: