Sunday, March 18, 2007

St. Patrick's Day

A day to justify drinking Guinness, great!  Normally I don't need a reason to drink Guinness, but I certainly won't turn one down.  The same went for Pi Day, how can one turn down pie?

The day started off at Fionn MacCool's.  I started to line up around 10:45am and they eventually opened their doors at 11:15am.  Inside, we were unable to get seats, but we did get this nice island to stand around, and we were able to order food from there, so a moderate success of sorts.

I was in the mood for some sort of sheppard's pie to eat on St. Pats.  Since it was Pi day earlier in the week, I figured it was the perfect extension.  I picked Fionn because it had both a sheppard's pie and Guinness steak and mushroom pie.  I've never tried a Guinness dish before, but I expected Guinness to just add some thickness and a little flavour.



I picked the Guinness dish, surprised?  I thought not.

Now, firstly, it wasn't really a pie, which was a little disappointing.  It was more of a stew of steak and mushrooms, with a slab of mash and some vegtables on the side.  Most importantly, it tasted very good.  It was hearty, beefy, and there was a subtle hint of Guinness; but, had I not known it was in there, I wouldn't have noticed it.  To summarize, it was a decent beef stew.  While it couldn have been larger, I didn't regret ordering it.

My regrets came later, as it dawned on me that I should have:
a)  Had some breakfast before drinking.
b)  Paced myself to a Guinness every 30 minutes, not every 15.
c)  Had some non-Gino's related sustenance afterwards.

Anyways, all in all, it was a delicious day.



Cheers.



No comments: