Thursday, March 15, 2007

Green Tea Pocky?



A week ago, I ventured to an Asian supermarket in the west end of Toronto.  Wonderful store, consisting of a great selection of sauces, canned goods, fresh produce and very reasonable prices.  It was almost like shopping in a clean Kensington Market.  I could go on, but I'll save my trips to the supermarket for another post.

Now, Pocky!

Pocky in its native original (red boxed) form is merely a biscuit stick covered in bitter-sweet chocolate.  

Lately, I've been seeing a variety of different of Pocky flavours surfacing.  While these probably have always 
been available, I've only started noticing them now (and if I haven't seen it, it's new to me).

In the past I've tried: Original,Almond Crush, Milk, Honey and the aforementioned Green Tea.

Original doesn't leave much to the imagination.  The chocolate isn't that sweet, nor that enjoyable.  But it is the Pocky that started it all, so you have to try it atleast once.

Almond Crush consists of a dark chocolate coating with chunks of almond.  I found it to have a little coffee taste to it, but the almond pieces were quite bland.  Better than original though.

Milk was kind of 'bleh'.  Instead of a chocolate coating, it features a yogurt coating which had this slight sour quality to it.  If you like sour bland yogurt, this Pocky is for you (but I wouldn't go as far as calling it a sour cream).

Honey also also featured a yogurt coating, but it was slightly sweet.  It did have hints of honey and it was better than the awful Milk Pocky, but I don't think I'll be revisiting Honey Pocky.

Green Tea is currently the Pocky to beat.  Featuring a green tea cream coating that one could swear to be actual green tea ice cream.  It's quite wonderful.  After my first stick, I was in disbelief that Pocky could actually taste this good.

Moral of the story.

Say yes to Green Tea Pocky, say no to drugs and candy from strangers (especially if it's Milk Pocky).



No comments: