Thursday, March 15, 2007

Scotch?

I discovered at a young age that I had a very odd palette.  I'm quite surprised that with all of the experimenting I used to do with things I found in the fridge, I never ended up having to get my stomach pumped.  I mean, who could fault me for trying ice cream, peanut butter and hot sauce.  It really wasn't that bad... (back off Ben and/or Jerry)

With that said, I don't know why I've been drawn to scotch over the years, but I certainly have no complaints.  As far as I can remember, I've always loved the smell of scotch.  I'd normally huddle around my father's tumbler and bask in the sweet aromas of Cardhu that would slowly rise through my nose.  

As much as I loved the scent, it wasn't until I was 18 that I could actually drink it and enjoy it.  I wasn't actively trying to acquire a taste for it either.  One day, I poured a glass of Black Label from a bottle my father received and... I was hardly repelled from it.  It was the first time I actually took the time to savour it.

For a novice spirit drinker or cigar smoker, you only learn to appreciate the best after trying the worst.

While a bad cigar may repulse you, bad scotches just lack flavour, character and aren't very 
smooth to drink. They essentially taste just like flavoured grain alcohol (or a light beer  compared to it's full strength relative).

It isn't until you've actually had a nicely aged single malt, that you can sit down and appreciate all the years that went into making the amber elixer that stands proudly before you.

 

No comments: